Friday, June 8, 2012

~Never to Forget Again~

On a recent visit to the card store I was reading each and every Father's day card to find just the perfect card. I counted making sure I had one for each Dad. First one for my real dad, then my 2 stepdads, one for Hope's dad and her new stepdad. My husband was busy picking out a card too~ I wasn't sure who? His dad had died when he was a teenager. Then he walked over to me with the card he chose...on the outside it read:
"Thanks Dad"
inside it read:
"Because of you I know what it's like to grow up with a great Father. And that's just about the best gift a son ever got. Happy Father's Day."

It was very touching to read what I thought he was getting in remembrance of his dad. I thought how the loss must feel and I was very thankful to have my dad with me still. Then my loving husband said, "I'm going to put it in the offering plate at church." Words scattered in my mind when at that moment I realized it was his heavenly Father he was thanking. I felt honored to be blessed with such a Godly man who truly lives his life mindful of His heavenly Father at all times. After my overwhelmed heart recovered~ it was quickly filled with shame. How could I have never looked at Father's Day from that point of view? I counted everyone and forgot my God!

We all have a Father in heaven who will never forget us. He has promised he will never leave us or forsake us. He tells us "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."(2 Corinthians 6 :18) For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. This Father's day I want to truly grasp who I am and whose I am ~ A child of God. Happy Father's Day to my Abba, Father! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment